Galley Recipe of the Week
Tutti Fruiti Carrot Salad
Now that shredded and grated carrots are available in packages in the produce section, boat cooks can throw this salad together in minutes.
12- to 16-ounce package grated carrots
11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
Small can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup golden raisins
6 to 8 maraschino cherries, drained and quartered (optional)
1 cup (or more to taste) lemon or orange flavored yogurt
Fold everything together and serve now or chill. Serves 6 to 8.
Skillet Meal of the Week
Lumpy-on-Purpose Mashed Potato Skillet
|Serving idea: Add eggs|
What fun! Serve it as a side dish or a vegetarian main dish. Use a tub of ready-made mashed potatoes or make them from scratch or instant potatoes from a package. Canned, diced potatoes add texture. Black olives add eye appeal.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon curry powder
3 cups mashed potatoes
14.5-ounce can diced potatoes, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon vinegar
Small can of chopped black olives, well drained
Fat for frying (butter, vegetable oil or bacon drippings)
Salt, pepper to taste
In a large, nonstick skillet, sizzle onions in hot oil until they are limp. Stir in garlic until it’s fragrant, then stir in curry. In a bowl, mix mashed potatoes with diced potatoes, vinegar and black olives. Stir in onion mixture and wipe out skillet.
Cover bottom of the skillet with a sheen of hot oil or fat and spread potato mixture in an even layer. Cover and cook until crusty on bottom and sides. Season to taste.
Optional: After potatoes are browned, use the back of a spoon to make depressions in potatoes and fill each with an egg. Cover and cook over low heat until eggs are poached to taste.
Tips for the Boat Chef
* Did you know that the Yacht Yenta cozy mystery e-books are dotted with recipes from Farley Halladay’s charterboat days? Book One of the series is January Justice https://amzn.to/2XqCl1y
* Know your whisks, especially if you don’t have an electric mixer. I like a good, strong balloon whisk for batters or beating eggs and a heat-tolerant, flat-bottom whisk for stirring sauces on the stove
* Make easy Ruebens. Open a tube of pizza dough, unroll and cover with slices of corned beef and cheese. Top with drained, rinsed sauerkraut. Do not over-fill. Roll up, slice, arrange on a baking sheet, bake.
* Make a quick, nut-free crunch topping by browning rolled oats in butter in a nonstick skillet.
* Slice small jelly rolls (such as Little Debbie) and make individual trifles in plastic glasses. Layer with instant pudding or yogurt, fresh fruit, whipped cream or what have you.
* Make your own dried herbs for the galley. Remove stems from fresh herbs, microwave between layers of paper toweling. Keep cool and dry.
* See new boating news, views and cues every week from Farley Halladay, the charterboat Yacht Yenta. She posts recipes too. https://farleyhalladay.blogspot.com
Pantry Recipe of the Week
Each week we present a recipe made with no fresh ingredients. Stock your pantry with balanced meals in mind. Be prepared for all the Doldrums that life hands us out there, whether on a day sail or a transoceanic.
See the Survival Food Handbook for lists, tips on supermarket staples for provisioning on a budget, emergency measures for many scenarios. http://amzn.to/1WdYqbe
Chicken a là King
Creamed chicken goes well with crusty biscuits but any starch will do: crisp Chinese noodles, instant mashed potatoes, instant grits, rice, baked potato, toast, zweiback, ad inf. Here’s a suitable creamed chicken with no fresh ingredients.
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 tablespoons diced dried onions
1 tablespoon dried parsley
15-ounce can peas and diced carrots, drained
15-ounce can mixed vegetables, drained
10-ounce can chunk chicken
1/2 cup liquid *
2 tablespoons flour
Freshly ground black pepper
In a cold pan place the condensed soup, onions and parsley. Drain vegetables and chicken, saving 1/2 cup liquid. Whisk liquid into soup, then whisk in flour. Heat gently, stirring until the mixture is bubbly, then fold in vegetables and chicken. Thin to taste with water, broth, milk or cream. Stir in freshly ground pepper and spoon over the starch of choice. Serves 4 to 8.